Sunday, September 6, 2015

Sunday September 6, 2015 - LGBT Homeless Shelter

On Friday, after my electrology session, I went to a Thrift store  that supports a shelter for LGBT youth.

I had some old women shoes and clothes that I wanted to donate. So instead of donating them to Goodwill, I donated both bags to this store.

I then spent the next thirty minutes looking over their inventory. The store was not as big as the normal Atlanta Goodwill store. But they had a nice selection of clothes, furniture and electronic  items.


While I was walking around the store, I decided to read some more information about this non-profit organization.

They provide transitional housing for homeless LGBT youth. They currently have a six-bedroom space. But are trying to raise money for the renovation a a larger home that can house 18 youth.




They offer four ways for volunteers to help:
  1. One-Time or recurring donation
  2. Purchase a brick for the new house
  3. Donate to thrift store
  4. Volunteer time
I decided to talk to Rick Westbrook the Executive Director. He was in his office, so we talked and I told him my story. He asked if I would come in some time and talk to the youth. He stated that since Caitlyn Jenner and Jazz Jenning, the number of homeless LGBT youth in Atlanta using their services have jumped from 75 a month to 300 students a month. WOW.

After talking with him, I have decided that this organization is one that I will donate clothes and time to as Susan King.

I am going to register as a volunteer. This will include a background check.

Throughout my life I have always helped youth, from YMCA to College Professor. This seems to fit me and would be a great way to socialize as Susan and give back.

No comments:

Post a Comment