Saturday, April 2, 2016

Saturday April 2, 2016 - Cosmetics and health

For many years I have been concerned about cancer and dementia. The reason is that I have a strong family history of both. Years ago, I moved away from deodorant with aluminium and lotions with metals.

But I was thinking this morning that as I introduce all of these feminine products into my life, I am not testing for cancer or dementia causing chemicals.

So, starting today, I am going to make sure my current and future cosmetics are free of chemicals that can possibly cause cancer and dementia.

My daily routine is based on natural products. I have been using non-metal deodorant for years. I use witch hazel, baby oil, Vaseline, pure liquid vitamin E and my own DIY lotion, every day. So my exposure to possible cancer or dementia agents are low.

But my cosmetics are based on my trial and errors and my makeover at Clinque and Ulta Beauty. I have not looked at the ingredients of any of these products. This is going to change, starting today!

How can I do that?

I have included a link to an app that will scan bar codes and tell me what chemicals are in the product and their affect.




Here is an infographic that summarizes some of the issues



Below is an 8 min video that  discusses cosmetics and cancer





An article about lipstick and dementia




1 comment:

  1. This message isn't on topic so you may want to delete it.

    I happened to catch a news item about facial products on commercial TV recently. In particular the segment dealt with "anti-ageing" products. The medical professional being interviewed made the point that there simply aren't any "anti-ageing" agents available apart from sun screen. They simply don't exist. In her comparative study of a $10.00 moisturizer and a $170.00 ante-ageing moisturizer she didn't find any quantifiable difference apart from the price. It makes you think.

    ReplyDelete