Thursday, August 25, 2016

Thursday August 25, 2016 - Misty Snow a Transwoman running for US Senate

I am a political junkie. Therefore I know Ms. Snow has about as much of a chance as a snowball in hell (tried my hand at some humor). But I admire her for running in Utah and paving the way for a future Transperson. Her opponent is Senator Mike Lee, Senator Ted Cruz's running buddy, is a formidable candidate..

Its tough for any Democrat to win in Utah. I assume Senator Lee will ignore her and I doubt she has much financial support. But her running is an important first step.

It reminds me of the late Shirley Chisholm running for President in 1972. She was the first woman and African-American to officially run for President under a major party. She did not have much of a chance but she showed a new generation of youth that its possible. 36 years later, just 3 years after her death, you had both Mr Obama and Ms Clinton fighting it out to be the nominee of a major party.

I wonder if a young transperson reads about this current race and dreams about the possibility? I hope it does not take another 35 years, because I might miss that one.

Here is a link to her website.


Meet the Trans Woman Running for Senate in a Mormon State | Broadly

2 comments:

  1. I would have supported Kristen Beck who ran earlier this year in the Democrat primary against Steny Hoyer the well entrenched establishment Democrat in Maryland. It did not seem that anyone in the LGBT community supported the right leaning Ms. Beck against the machine.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, Misty Plowright is also a candidate for Congress. She is running for the House from the 5th district in Colorado. http://www.mistyforcongress.com/meet_misty

    ReplyDelete