Sunday, November 23, 2014

Sunday November 23, 2014 - Downer Day

Today I am feeling down because my exercise experiment is not working and I can not figure out why. Over the past year, my average weight increased from 165 to 172. I knew is was partly due to my reduced frequency of exercise. So leading up to Thanksgiving, I decided to ramp up my exercising and use myfitnesspal everyday to get under 165 before Thanksgiving.

I can not seem to get under 167.

Since November 9th, I have exercised 12 of the 14 days and increased my cardio minutes from 60 to 95. My daily caloric intake was and still is 1,400 to 1,500 per day.

However, I did change the machine I use. I now complete 35 minutes on the elliptical and 60 minutes on the stairmaster. I use to do 60 on the elliptical, 2 to 4 days a week depending on my weight and upcoming events.

Elliptical:

This is my favorite machine because my knees and hips do not hurt afterward. I use to use the stationary bike but began to have knee and hip pain. I can early complete 60 minutes at a 19 level with 25 being the highest. However, for this experiment, I dropped to 35 minutes as a warmup for the Stairmaster.

Stairmaster:

This machine is a "killer". Over the past 2 weeks I have increased my time from 30 minutes to 60 minutes. I use an average intensity level of 10 with 20 being the highest level. During my use, I increase and decrease the intensity level between 8 and 12.

I wonder if this machine is creating muscle and therefore even with my clothes fitting better, my weight is not dropping as fast as anticipated.

Now to be honest, losing 4 pounds in two weeks is not bad, 172 to 168. I just figured with this much exercise and low caloric intake, I could lose 3 to 4 pounds a week. This would have put me in the 164 to 166 range, which was my goal for Thanksgiving week.

I still have today thru Wednesday to see if I can get to 165 or at least break below 167. Thanksgiving day, I will let you know my final weight.

As an aside, I weight myself the same time every morning with the same digital scale located at the same place in the hallway.

Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment