Monday, September 14, 2015

Monday September 14, 2015 - Homecoming Queen

Oak Park High School in Kansas City, Mo. voted Landon Patterson 2015-2016 Homecoming Queen.

 “Going in, I didn't know what to expect,” said Landon Patterson about the moment she had been waiting for, but never thought would come. “I've dream't about it, freshmen year like 'oh I wanna be that girl out there walking,'” she recalled.

What is great about this is that Landon was born a boy, but ever since she can remember, she says she has identified as a girl. This year, she fully transitioned.



Every time I read about this I am amazed at how far society has come since I was in high school in the early seventies. Now I know that some people consider that ancient. If in 1975 someone were to talk about 1935, I remember considering that ancient history.

I love reading these stories and  feel so happy for her. She is not the first and will not be the last. But just to have the opportunity is fantastic. It shows what an positive family and community environment means to the transgender people.

We can give so much to enhance our community, if give a chance. However, once given the chance, we must try our best and work hard to give back.

But  I wonder, if I were in high school, would I been living as a girl? I knew by 8 years old. Would I have told my parents? My parents were liberal and very involved in the civil rights communiy. Would they have let you live as a girl? These are interesting questions to think about.

But it's only the here and now that counts. We have the opportunity to spend the future as we want. This is like the Matrix and we can choose which pill to take.

As Homecoming Queen Landon Paterson said, “Be you! Life is too short, you just have to embrace who you are.”

No comments:

Post a Comment