Saturday, April 25, 2015

Saturday April 25, 2015 - Human Rights Campaign - Transgender Poll

The Human Rights Campaign (HRC) just released the finding of their annual national survey concerning public opinion of the transgender community.

There is more good news. This is another poll showing that things are getting better. But there is still more work to be done.

Their national survey reveals a significant uptick in the number of Americans who say they personally know or work with someone who is transgender, and a corresponding increase in favorable feelings toward transgender people.

This survey supports what I am seeing when I am out in public and what I am trying to accomplish. I believe that if more of us can find away to get out of the closet (even part-time) and interact with the general public, family members and/or fellow employees, it will significantly help the whole community.

The survey results show that the percentage of people who personally know someone who is transgender has increased from 9% in 2013 to 19% in 2014 to 22% in 2015. That is a positive trend that is definitely going in the right direction. However, there is a long way to go, this data means that 78% of the public do not know someone. At least they think they do not.

Over the last couple of months, I told my siblings (brother and sister). I happen to talk to my brother today and he stated he talked with our sister today about me. They talked over an hour as my sister is having mixed emotions about me. But he said she is working on it.

This is interesting because my sister has called me and text me to ask me questions about my transition. When I was in New Jersey a couple of weeks ago, she asked me if I told any of my friends or cousins. I told her not yet because I still have my third daughter to talk to. I am starting with the closest to me and then moving outward.

These survey results motivate me to tell more people.

Another important data point is that those who knew someone who is a transgender person, 66 percent expressed favorable feelings toward them, compared with 13 percent who did not -- a net favorability of +53 percentage points. For those  who don’t know someone the rating is 37 favorable, 30 unfavorable, a net of only +7.

This is further indication that by interacting with people on a personal level, it will move the needle forward, in a positive direction.

Finally the attitudes toward transgender Americans have steadily improved. HRC asked likely voters, “Now, I'd like to rate your feelings toward some people, groups and ideas,” and asked them to rate “transgender Americans as favorable or unfavorable."

Favorability/Unfavorability of “Transgender people”
1/31/15        44/25 Net: +19
3/16/14        38/28 Net:  + 9
7/9/11          26/36  Net:  - 9

In the past 36 months, the net favorable has increased 28 points from -9 to +19. The exciting part is that the favorable rating is getting close to 50%.

With those new TV shows coming out over the next 12 months, I believe the favorable rating could reach 50% within 12 months. Based on the past 36 months, the next 12 months will see an increase by 9 points to 53%. So 50% seems reasonable for 2016.

Everyone can do something. Even if you are not a transgender person or you want to remain in the closet, support the community by providing positive information about transgender people. Correct people who make a negative statement about the community. Refer people to positive information about the community.

Let's help the public move forward.

UPDATE: Bruce Jenner will help tremendously, because now more people know someone.
Watch Interview



No comments:

Post a Comment