Saturday, May 16, 2015

Saturday May 16, 2015 - Participating in Academic Research

I was thinking about how I can help the public gain a better understanding of our community. We are making great strides and I feel blessed to be living in these times. I think the future will find even more acceptance for our community.

I have decided to pay it forward by participating in academic studies of our community. Since so many of us are in the closet, our numbers appear low and our voices low.



I will choose studies that will be used for enacting public policy that can benefit us. Without this data and analysis, there will be very limited information to support our cause.

For years I have been receiving flyers and emails about transgender studies. I have just never bothered to respond. That will change.

I will only respond to those I think will assist in adding more positive research data to the public discussion. We need more data and information to support our  arguments and make our points.

Below are two charts based on recent research.

The first one shows a dire situation for our youth. But are they really accurate given the number of out youth hiding and not responding. I do not fault them, it just a thought. Adding them could show that the situation is better or worse.


The next chart is from a UCLA study in 2011. Again how many of us did not respond, thus making our population appear smaller than it is. This empowers the other side.


If you are interested, I have listed below a few current studies. As I locate more studies, I will add them to a new list I will create on the right column of this blog.
  1. Research Study: University of Louisville studying trans experiences - May 15, 2015
  2. Seeking Participants for Trans* Faculty Dissertation Study - May 1, 2015
  3. John Jay College of Criminal Justice are seeking participants who identify as transgender or gender non-conforming (e.g., non-binary, bi-gender, a-gender, poly-gender, genderfluid, etc.) for a paid study on perceptions of the criminal justice system. - Must live in NYC - May 13, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment