Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Tuesday June 30, 2015 - Makeup results

Yesterday, I decided to play around with makeup. I need to start practicing for when I start going out as Susan. I learned basic makeup in the early 1990's, as a member of Tri-Ess. There was an Avon lady who's husband was a member and she gave lessons.

I bought my first set of makeup from her but over the next few years I switched to Fashion Fair and got pretty good. I spent one week in both 1994 and 1996 on vacation in Hilton Head as Susan. I even went out, a few times with my friend Maxine. Also a few time in the early 2000's, I spent a few weekends out.

However with my children going off to college, starting in 2002 and my father and in-laws passing (2004, 2006 & 2009), I had to put Susan back in the closet. So for about 10 years (1991 thru 2002), I was getting pretty good with makeup.

Well now, 13 years later, I am getting back into it. So yesterday, I put on a full face. I tried it both with and without foundation.

The above picture is my final photo with full makeup that included foundation and a Susan wardrobe.

First the makeup.

The first set of photos are without foundation and the second row is with foundation. I took photos with and without glasses.


In the next two photos, I am wearing foundation. My current foundation is very old but the color is correct, I just need a new bottle along with some new setting powder. I want to try primer under my foundation, but I do not have any. I will go to Ultra Beauty to buy a tube.




My camera is not that good and you may not be able to tell the difference, but I like the foundation (second row of pictures) best. Also, I like the glasses. I bought them (they are a female pair) for this reason. I wanted them big so they would help frame my face and make it appear rounder and smaller. (read post about buying my glasses)

Except for the foundation in the second set of pictures, my makeup was the same.

One thing I noticed right away was that without a beard, makeup was much easier and faster. With a beard, I use to complete a close shave and wait a few minutes for my face to dry. Then I would have to put on the beard cover to neutralize the color of the beard shadow. Finally adding foundation would take time to make sure it covered and blended over the beard cover. So right away, the long beard removal time was worth it. My makeup routine was faster and I needed less foundation (In the second set of picture). As I quickly approach 60 years young, I noticed women, my age wear less makeup and foundation. So with my beard mostly gone, its easier for me to reach that goal.

I like to start at the top and work my way down. So I completed my eyebrows first with my brown pencil. I frame them and lighten them with the pencil.

Moving to the eyes, I played around with lighter colors except for the crease in at the top of my eye lid in which I add a dark color. I add a lighter color at the upper corner, just under the eyebrows to give them lift. I do not have to pluck my eyebrows because I had electrology on them in the 1990's, so now they have a "natural" arch and shape.

I blend my eye shadow and then add eyeliner. I used a black liner, I recently bought from CVS with a coupon. I need to work on added eyeliner but I put in on the top and bottom with a slight upward wing at the outer point. Finally, I added my mascara. Because I wear it often, I had no trouble putting it on

I found a possible solution for the bags under my eyes. Its based on a second lighter colored foundation along the dark crease under the bags. When I buy a new bottle of foundation, I am going to by a second lighter concealer to hide the bag's shadow. See Video

I added blush to the apple of my cheek and blended it upward around my eyes and downward onto my cheek. I need to buy a darker color as a second blush to place on my cheeks and blend upward, just under the first blush. I am eventually going to try the recommendation of the picture below.


Finally I add my lipstick. I like this part the best. For some reason, I love to put on lipstick. I use a pencil to line my lips and fill them in. I was told by the Avon lady decades ago that the pen helps define the lips and by adding it to the lips, it sets the lipstick, once I add the lipstick over the pencil. I add the lipstick and then place some lip gloss at the center of my bottom lip. Then I slightly press my lips together. Finally, I slightly press my lips on paper to remove the excess.

I did an OK job. My goal is to wear makeup but have it look light and barely noticeable.

I decided to get dressed up and take some pictures in one of my nice dresses. I will show those photos in tomorrow's post.

No comments:

Post a Comment