Saturday, June 27, 2015

Saturday June 27, 2015 - Amazing

Yesterday was an amazing day. In my opinion it will be one of days that goes into the history books. Definitely in my history book. For me it a day of happiness for the future and sadness (tears) for my ancestors and friends who were not here to enjoy the moment with me.

In the morning, was the rulling concerning same-sex marriage and in the afternoon was the funeral of Rev. Pinckney.



SCOTUS approved same-sex marriage. In 11 short years, same-sex marriage went from a wedge issue used by President Bush to a fundamental right for all Americas.

In a previous blog, I discussed my older cousin (by 3 years) who in 1969 came out in 9th grade as transgendered. I was in middle school at the time as he wore "female clothes" to high school. It was a big issue in the family as his father threw him out of the house. My Dad was School Board President at the time. I do not know what he did politically but my cousin was thrown out of high school. I do remember my Dad helping him find a place to life and helped him through out his life which ended in the early 1980's from complication due to AIDS.

Also, in 2014, I lost one of my best friends, a gay male who loved to dress as a women when clubbing. (See post).He always wanted to get married. He had a live in boy friend for about the first decade I knew him. During the last year of his life, he was caring for his sick father. I used male pronouns because he did not consider himself transgendered. I would label him a Femboy.

I miss them both and would have loved to have talked to them yesterday. So I did, in a prayer last night.



President Obama's singing of Amazing Grace at South Carolina State Senator Clementa Pinckney funeral. I wish my Grandparents and my Father were here so I could talk to them about it. They were members of the AME church.

For me, I think of history. I have been reading a set of books about the oral history of U.S. slaves. To create jobs during the Depression, the FDR administration created the Federal Writer's Project from 1936-1938. During that period more than 2,300 first-person accounts about slavery were recorded. These accounts can be found in free books on Amazon. (Link to one book).

His singing of that song not only made me miss my relatives but I though about the hundreds of years in which thousands of people, against their will were marched across that same parcel of land into a life of hardship and misery.

Yet as a county, we now have a President who is a descendant of slaves talking to descendants of both slaves and slave owners and singing together.



Wow, what a day. What a county!

No comments:

Post a Comment