Saturday, July 30, 2016

Saturday July 30, 2016 - Today I am reposting my 2015 post about my time in aversion therapy


Repost from April 13, 2015

My parents sent me to a few different therapists in an attempt to cure my "crossdressing".

First, I was put in a teen group. Those teens had drug, depression and family issues. When I discussed my "crossdressing", they looked at me like I was crazy for being there. My issue seemed so trivial compared to their issues.

So, at 15 years old, 10th grade, I went to a physiologist who practiced aversion therapy.

It was not as bad a the picture above. I would go into the office and he would hypnotize me. I do not know if the hypnotism worked, sometime I fell asleep and sometimes I faked it. Then he would talk to me about how bad female clothes were and that if I touched them, I would get sick. I remember saying to myself, how could nylon stockings make me sick, they look and feel so nice.

I do not know how many times I went. But I decided purge and go deeper in the closet. It only lasted from 1972 until 1979.

I am glad I was not sent away to an out-of-town program or a program with a more aggressive therapy routine..

I know my parents were trying to do what they thought was best, given its the 1970's. Then many people thought it was a "phase" some boys went through. I suspect that "phase" period was a true indication of oneself. Then many of us had the learn how to hide it, so we could conform.  Those that could not hide it were subjected to a very tough life. Like my cousin, who came out in 1968, while in high school. He had a very difficult 17-years until his death of AIDS.

So I guess, my parents thought I was "cured". Well, first of all, I am NOT sick. I am in touch with a very amazing and special gift that has made be a better person. I am going to use this gift to help others and become a better person.

This is why  I am  so glad President Obama has called for an end to this type of therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment